Crazy coffee lovers across the globe- today is your day! International coffee day is a festive occasion and a chance to celebrate the oh-so-important beverage that we take for granted every day. So grab a cup of coffee for yourself, sit back and allow yourself to be enlightened by these facts about coffee that we’ve gathered for you.
1. Coffee is the world’s second most valuable traded commodity, just after petroleum! Well, this certainly sheds light on the importance of coffee.
2. The name “Cappuccino” comes from the resemblance of the drink to the clothing of the Capuchin monks
3. This one might come off as a surprise, but you don’t actually need coffee when you first wake up because at that time your body naturally produces a hormone called cortisol which makes you feel awake. Thus, coffee is most effective if consumed about an hour and a half after you wake up.
4. If you haven’t grabbed a cup of coffee for yourself yet, this fact will make you go and get it right now! Here’s the wow factor: coffee helps you burn fat. Studies have shown that drinking caffeine can increase your metabolism rate by 11%. Got the coffee? Good
5. Coffee is known as a source of energy, but it also enhances mental performances such as concentration and memory!
6. The first webcam was created in Cambridge to check the status of a coffee pot. For the love of coffee!
7. Coffee has various health benefits such as improved blood flow, reduced risk of dementia and Alzheimer’s and is even good for your liver. Drink up! Your coffee consumption is justified.
8. Drinking 2 to 4 cups of coffee daily has been found to drop the risk of suicide by 50% compared to non-coffee drinkers.
9. It has been estimated it would take 70 cups of coffee to kill a 154-pound (70 kg) person.
10. The most expensive coffee in the world is made of poop. Yes, you read right. It is called Black Ivory and costs $50 per cup, and is made from elephant dung. Certainly intriguing!
In conclusion, coffee is awesome. Life without coffee would be darkness and chaos.