Pakistan didn’t make it to the World Cup finals but that doesn’t put an end to sports nights! We still have Ludo and our local versions of Taboo and Pictionary to scream bloody murder over. And let us not even get started on the boys with their consoles and endless reverence for all-night FIFA, COD and GTA marathons.
Taking care of the ambience is easy; throw in a big rug, lots of pillows, sensitive egos and some chilled fizzy drinks but the food is where it gets tough! You need to munch to keep the energy levels up and impress your friends with your culinary skills, minus the the endless hours spent slaving in the kitchen!
Here’s the hack: Get a variety of packaged chips and make an assortment of dips to serve them with. Here’s a list of some popular dips that you can whip up in a jiffy for your next sports night!
Garlic Mayo – the Classic Desi dip
- 1 cup yoghurt
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 3 tsp of freshly minced garlic paste
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp red chili flakes
Mix all the ingredients together, taste and adjust seasonings as required. If you want it to be more tangy and healthy, decrease the amount of mayonnaise and add yoghurt instead.
Hummus – the healthy Mediterranean dip
- 1 can chickpeas
- 1-2 lemons, juiced
- 2-3 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- A big pinch of salt
- 4 tablespoons tahini (sesame paste)
- Olive Oil – 2 tbsp
- 1 tsp Paprika or ½ tsp Red Chilli Pepper, plus a pinch to garnish
- Black & Green Olives – Garnish
1) Drain the chickpeas but reserve the liquid from the can. Reserve a few chickpeas for garnish
2) Puree the chickpeas in a blender or a food processor adding the reserved water as needed until you have a smooth paste.
3) Add lemon juice, garlic cloves, salt, tahini paste & paprika/red pepper. Taste & adjust seasonings if required.
4) Make an indentation in the center and drizzle with olive oil, and sprinkle with paprika/red pepper.
5) Garnish with black and green olives & leftover chickpeas
6) Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes
7) Serve with toasted pita chips for a healthy & nutritious snack
- 1 ripe Avocado
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt (or to taste)
- 1/2 tbsp of fresh Lemon juice
- 1-2 Jalapeno peppers, finely chopped
- 1/2 Onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 ripe Tomato, seeds & pulp removed, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp Coriander leaves, finely chopped) – reserve some for garnish
- Tortilla Chips or Corn Chips for Serving
- Cut the avocado in half and using a spoon, scoop out the flesh and put it in a small bowl.
- Using a fork, roughly mash the avocado. It should still be a little bit chunky so do not overdo it. Add lemon juice and salt. Add chopped onion, jalapeno peppers, coriander leaves, and tomatoes. Mix it all up.
- Taste & adjust seasonings if necessary. If you like it hotter then add one more jalapeno pepper.
- Cover with plastic wrap since avocados turn black very quickly.
- Serve with tortilla or corn chips.
Contributed by Kiran Afzal for Kluchit.com
22 Oct 2018
05 Oct 2018