While we do love our parents, we still wish they were a little more understanding and a little less traumatizing. Don’t get me wrong but desi parents classify as helicopter parents, undoubtedly. Being exposed to a more accepting and tolerant world, we dream of a little more Mr. Incredible and less Homer Simpson in our dads. We also want Marge Simpson instead of Mommy Dearest.
Today, I’m going to talk about a few things that your parents annoy you with. You may want to show this article to your mom or dad on your own discretion. If you’re a parent, then, just listen with n open mind and remember that this is meant for comic purpose for the most part. So here’s a list of things that our mums and dads say that just annoy us a little bit.
1. If your friends jumped off a cliff then you’d do the same?
How is that similar to going out for a concert at my university?
2. Don’t look at me like that, besharam!
Okay but mum what if my eyes are just that size and you’re exaggerating.
3. Because I said so.
Are you also the Yoda from Star Wars and happen to know everything?
4. You’ve taken me for granted.
5. Look at your older/ younger sibling. They’ve got their act together.
You said the same to them yesterday while giving my example.
6. Bina aunty k betay/beti ko dekho-
But, dad, if you actually knew them, you’d thank God for ME.
7. When I was your age I never argued, sat around, got a C, walked fifty kilometers for school at 4 in the morning.
8. You’ll understand when you have kids.
Well, but this is my life and I am twenty. Who am I kidding?
9. Money doesn’t grow on trees.
I KNOW!…or do I?
10. You’ve failed, fallen sick or died because of that computer.
11. Talk to Samina aunty’s daughter’s neighbor’s billi’s milk supplier’s grandmother on the phone.
12. You can do this after you get married.
But we still love them because they care THAT much and still continue to support us when we’re adults. It’s just that they express love a bit differently and problematically.
13. Log kya kahenge-
I’m pretty sure they’ll say nothing, because they themselves are busy in beautifying their own messes and dressing them up for us to see. And even if they do, I don’t care.